- Image/video/speech processing, computer vision.
- Pattern recognition and machine learning.
- Perceptually inspired image analysis.
- Computational intelligence.
RML is specialized in three media processing areas:
- Media indexing and retrieval. Having developed the world first non-linear adaptive image/video indexing and retrieval system, RLM stands right at the frontier of this field. The automatic retrieval proposal and SoloArt, the first color concept search engine for artistic retrieval in preservation of cultural heritage, further enhance RML’s position in the field on the world stage.
- Our work in quantifying and recognizing human movement, a thoroughly novel approach, has made significant progress. Combined with the investigation in human emotion recognition, we are developing the first total human computer interaction model which will play key roles in media indexing and retrieval and the design of the next generation computers, the bio-computers.
- Media coding and transmission. An adaptive 3D coding method has been developed, which is being integrated into a centralized peer-to-peer network architecture for the transmission of scalable streaming video and3D images.
Improve the Quality of Human Life:
The Lab has a strong mandate in applying the research output to different sectors of our society to improve the quality of human life. Our work in indexing and retrieval, and human-computer interaction has been identified as enabling technology by Ontario Innovation Foundation.
- Referral systems based on media indexing and retrieval with applications in medical decision support systems, tele-medicine and tele-operation, preservation of cultural heritage,security/surveillance, etc.
- Biometrics and biomedicine. The research in recognizing human movement can lead to new ways in non-invasive security check, improving the performance of athletes, diagnosis of movement disorder and childhood development.
- Peer-to-peer media streaming. Media streaming has draw a lot of attentions in media indexing and retrieval, tele-medicine and tele-operation, video-on-demand, distance education.